|Mobile Wireless Hotspot Lending Policy|
To further the library’s mission of meeting the informational, recreational, cultural and educational needs of the public, the Blanchester Public Library will lend Mobile Hotspots to help make information more accessible.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
A “Hotspot” consists of the mobile wireless Hotspot device as well as its charger, USB cable and case. When a patron borrows a Mobile Hotspot, the patron’s use of the equipment is available under the following terms and conditions.
1. Patrons must be 18 years of age or older to check out a Hotspot.
2. Patrons must have a Blanchester Public Library account in good standing (less than $3 in fines) and show a current driver’s license, state ID, passport or military photo ID at the time of checkout.
3. Upon checkout, library staff will confirm, in the presence of the borrowing patron, that all items are present in the Hotspot kit.
4. Hotspots may be checked out for one week (7 days). Hotspots may be renewed one time, provided there are no holds on the item. Patrons may renew Hotspots at the library, by phone, or online.
5. Only 1 Hotspot may be borrowed on a patron’s account at one time.
6. The fine for an overdue Hotspot is $1 per day until returned. Service to the Hotspot will be deactivated once it is 3 days overdue, and the patron will be billed for the device.
7. Holds may be placed on Hotspots. Only 1 hold may be placed per account. Patrons will be notified when their hold is ready for pickup. Patrons will have 48 hours from the time of notification to check out the Hotspot, after which it will be released to the next patron in line.
8. Hotspots must be returned to the library in person, not placed in a library book drop. Patrons may be charged repair/replacement fees for Hotspots returned to a library book drop. Library staff will confirm, in the presence of the borrowing patron, that all items are accounted for before checking it in from the patron’s account. The Hotspot will not be considered returned until all components of the Hotspot are returned.
9. The cost to replace the Hotspot device is $130. The cost to replace the charger/USB cable is $15. The cost to replace the case is $20. Patrons are not permitted to purchase their own replacement items.
10. A Hotspot can provide Internet access for up to 10 devices.
By borrowing and initiating use of the library’s Hotspot, the user agrees to abide by the library’s policies and rules, and agrees to hold the library and its agents harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities, directly or indirectly, relating to the use of the library’s Hotspot and Internet access provided by the library. Deliberate altering of any files or modifying the configuration of library-owned equipment is strictly prohibited.
Internet service relies on cell tower technology and coverage. User experience can vary based on location. Hotspots cannot be used outside the United States; any fees associated with international use will be the responsibility of the borrower. The library is not responsible for personal information shared over the Internet or for information or websites accessed. The library is not responsible for any liability, damages, or expense resulting from the use of the Hotspot.
Hotspots must be kept in a temperature-controlled environment (not left in vehicles or in extreme temperatures). The borrowing patron will be responsible for lost or damaged Hotspots and accessories (including theft thereof).
Parent/guardians are responsible for the use of the Hotspot by minors. Internet content filtering is not provided through the Hotspot. Unlawful use of the Internet or use that violates the library’s Computer/Internet Use Policy is prohibited and may result in the loss of privileges.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 8/17